Dienstag, 26. September 2017

Daughter of the Pirate King - Tricia Levenseller


Summary:
Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map--the key to a legendary treasure trove--seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.
More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.


My opinion: Yeah, my book from the april box. I'm getting it, you see? Actually I'm reading the book from June, so it seems like I am catching up. yeaay.
To be honest, especially this book was very short with a little more than 300 pages, but still.
And it was also a fast read because it was pretty good. It was a very refreshing version of a YA novel. Alosa is a fierce, self confident and very barefaced main character. She knows the pirate life and has no problem with being brutally if it is necessary. But she's also really funny, so Mrs. Levenseller gets the balance just right.
In the story Alosa must fake her own capture and pretend to be a prisoner as she hunts down the map piece on board a ship led by Draxen, a ruthless young captain. His brother Riden keeps an eye on her and I really loved the exchange of blows between those two.
Also a good point were the mythical creatures in the plot. With all the shiny mermaids in the Disney stories one easily forget the sirens, a more dark version of the mermaid.
Beside from Alosa I love characters like Enwen. How brilliant is he? He would definitely my first choice when it comes to arrange a crew.


There was only one thing I found strange while reading this book. Alosa gets scanned many times but still everytime the men overlook something or Alosa succeeds with another trick to break out of her cell. It's ridiculous how often she manages her breakout.


But disregarding this little remark, I really loved the story. It was refreshing and I often bursted out laughing while reading. So I can't wait to read the second book!


The cover is fitting and when I look at Alosa she really reminds me of a female Jack Sparrow. And for obvious reasons the title is a good choice as well.


Would you read this book again? Oh yes :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.